Asset-out, Low CapEx innovation
Innovation can be a slow, costly, hit-and-miss business. So if you want to get your innovations to market faster, with lower CapEx and better odds of success, you’re not alone. In the past few years Happen has helped a number of major companies achieve these goals. How? By turning the usual innovation methods on their head, and looking at the challenge in a brand new way.
Leverage technical capabilities and manufacturing assets for immediate competitive advantage
Asset-out is about creating new ideas with what your factory can already make. Also, if you want to go beyond what your factory can make, you can do it in a very controlled way.
Our asset-out methodology brings together the voices of technology, operations and consumer. Tap into the unrealised innovation capabilities hidden in your factories and laboratories, turning them into new revenue opportunities. From breathing new life into underutilised assets, to creating new products at low CapEx, to planning R&D investments well ahead of consumer demand.
- Incremental Innovation: Asset-out thinking helps teams break the perception of manufacturing assets being rigid and inflexible. It reveals a plethora of new solutions that can be realised to meet unmet consumer needs across product and packaging, within tightly set CapEx limits. Small but smart changes provide rich new benefits and differentiating features – whilst remaining highly feasible and inexpensive to implement.
- Game changing, innovation roadmap: Asset-out helps your team identify category technical barriers, providing foresight into where the big new technology enablers need to come from. We’ll simplify the search for solutions from other industries that can inspire those new developments, informing R&D and operational investment roadmaps.
Asset out innovation benefits
- Create a short term pipeline as easily as shopping from a catalogue
- Halve the time it takes to get new products to launch in market
- Compete better with small players by stretching ideas to their most exciting, impactful possibilities within your timeline and CapEx constraints
- Use a new type of creative stimulus that will ignite new & feasible ideas
- Launch products that reach profitable scale within their first year
What sets Happen apart is our capability to navigate both worlds, consumer and technology. We enable non-technical minds to understand how manufacturing processes affect features. Similarly, we reveal to non-marketing minds how small technical changes in features can dramatically improve consumer happiness and competitive advantage.
If you consider your factory and manufacturing assets as a box of Lego, by being clear on what your factory makes (bright red bricks, for example), you create ideas for new products that fit with what capabilities you already have at your disposal. By creating an overview of features upfront (i.e. knowing what you’re good at and also what you might be able to do with a limited amount of investment), you’ll come up with ideas that work for the consumer and for your own operations.
Want to know more about Asset-Out innovation? Get in touch.
Asset out in action
When we come up with concepts from Asset-Out, they’re in the realms of things we know we can do, and that we can move forward with quite quickly. So we can get a wider range of ideas to market faster. Through the collaboration that we’ve had over the last 18 to 24 months with Happen, we now have a much stronger innovation funnel of products that we will launch close to the core, and that’s exactly what we wanted.”
Wilbur Strickland, VP, Chocolate R&D, Mondelez